In accordance with the provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), your child may be eligible to receive supplemental educational services. You are receiving this letter because your child may be eligible for this service. Only Title I eligible students enrolled in Program Improvement Year 2 or more schools are eligible to receive after-school tutoring paid for by the Vineland School District. The intent of this tutoring is to assist students in becoming proficient in English-Language Arts and Mathematics.
The following schools are currently in Program Improvement Year 2 or more:
- Sunset Middle School
- Vineland Elementary School
Priority of Services
Priority of services will be given to students with the greatest academic need based on the previous year’s STAR assessments and not necessarily on the current year’s classroom academic achievement. If the demand for services exceeds the availability of funds, the following criteria will be used to rank eligible students according to their academic needs. Ranking will be based on the following criteria:
- Grade Level Ranking: Priority of services will be given to students in grades 3-8 and then to students in grade 2, then grade 1, and finally in kindergarten.
- Academic Need: Priority of services will be given first to students identified as Far Below Basic, Below Basic, Basic, then to students identified as Proficient or Advanced on the previous CST/CMA.
You are encouraged to choose a tutoring program that best meets the needs of your child. These programs have been approved by the California Department of Education. For a list of the state approved providers and information on selecting a provider please visit our website at www.vineland.k12.ca.us
Please read the following procedures carefully. All notifications from the district will be sent by mail only.
- All applications are due into the school by September 15. All applications received after September 15 will be included in the SES program if space is available. Applications for SES may be submitted any time throughout the school year, but services will only be offered if space is available in the program and if sufficient time remains for the student to complete the designated number of tutoring hours offered by the provider that is selected.
- If a student meets the criteria of most in need you will receive an “SES Eligibility Notification/Verification of Acceptance” letter. This letter must be signed and returned to the school. Each Verification of Acceptance letter will be processed in the order in which it is received until the maximum capacity for services has been reached. All Verification of Acceptance letters received after October 15 will only be processed if space is available in the program. Your child’s SES services will not begin until we have received this Verification of Acceptance.
- If a student does not meet the criteria of most in need, or is otherwise ineligible for services, you will receive an “SES Denial Notification” letter.
- Upon receipt of the returned “SES Eligibility Notification/Verification of Acceptance” letter confirming your acceptance of the SES services, the provider will contact you within two weeks to establish tutoring times and a location. Services must begin no later than November 30 and end no later than April 30.
State Approved SES Providers
The state has approved several providers to offer services to districts in the Kern County. However, some providers on the list may decide not to provide services to our district. The providers listed below have agreed to enter into a contract with the district. For a more detailed description of each provider’s program please see the attached California Department of Education (CDE) Provider List. You should also visit the provider’s website and interview them using the attached SES Provider Interview Worksheet.
Forms and Publications (For Parents):
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Parent Notification
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Application
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Surveys Provider Selection Interview Questions
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Provider List
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Surveys
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Annual Service Report
Forms and Publications (For Providers):
- SES Student Start Date Report
- SES Provider Monthly Service Report
- SES Provider Clearance Form
- SES Individual Student Services Report
- SES Individual Student Close-Out Report
- SES Individual SES Agreement (ISESA)