Dr. Matthew W. Ross
- Superintendent of Schools-Vineland Elementary School District
- Assistant Superintendent, Educational Services-Eastside Union School District (2009-2013)
- Principal- Gifford C. Cole Middle School (2007-2009)
- Assistant Principal-Gifford C. Cole Middle School (2006-2007)
- History Teacher, Dean of Students, Athletic Director, Director of Activities – Tehachapi High School (1996-2006)
- Ed.D, Educational Leadership, Liberty University
- MA, Education Administration, California State University, Bakersfield
- Teaching Credential, California State University, Bakersfield
- BA, Political Science, California State University, Bakersfield
- Association of California School Administrators (ACSA)
- American Association of School Administrators (AASA)
- California Association of Latino Superintendents and Administrators (CALSA)
- California Association of African American Superintendents and Administrators (CAAASA)
- California Army National Guard (Major/Field Artillery-Retired)
- Free and Accepted Masons
- York Rite Bodies, Bakersfield
- Scottish Rite Bodies, Bakersfield
- Shriners, Kern County
MY LEADERSHIP PHILOSOPHY
I am a firm believer that true leadership is the ability to work with and through others to influence them to work enthusiastically toward the goals identified as being for the common good. To this end, leaders at all levels must identify and meet the legitimate needs of others so that they can accomplish their tasks and better serve others. I have come to realize that no matter what my talents are, I cannot go very far without other people. But combined with the talents, creativity and potential of others, the sky’s the limit. This is true, not just for me, but for every member of our team. I have always sought to surround myself with the best talent I can find so that I can maximize the potential of the team, and therefore, myself. As leaders can be found at all levels of the district, I believe that my role is to empower others to become better at what they do, to achieve greater levels of skill and ability, and become better, more productive people in the process, which in the end will positively impact our students and community.
When working with and getting things done through people, there will always be two dynamics involved- the task and the relationship. Successful leadership, then, is accomplishing the task at hand, while building relationships. This, I believe, is accomplished by creating a healthy environment where both students and staff can grow and realize their full potential; by providing the necessary frameworks where high standards and clear expectations are set and people are held accountable for meeting those standards and expectations; and where everybody is treated as I would want to be treated.
To create and maintain a collaborative and trusting environment for all stakeholders and to align the district’s systems, structures, and efforts necessary for ensuring high quality learning experiences for every student.
Building on a strong foundation, the Vineland School District will serve as a model for small school districts around the state by increasing student achievement and authentic engagement through 21st Century classrooms. Highly effective teams of teachers, principals, and other support staff will lead every school. Decisions will be based on multiple data sets and driven by a desire for continuous improvement with a clear focus on success for every student. All students, staff, families, and community members will feel a sense of ownership for and connectedness to their schools. The district office staff will provide the schools with effective and timely technical assistance and operational support in preparing students for the future.
MY CORE BELIEFS
- All students deserve the best educational opportunities period! Not just the best possible educational opportunities.
- The education of all students must be our primary focus.
- Education is a collaborative effort among students, staff, family and community.
- All students can be high achieving, and achievement gaps can be eliminated.
- All students are entitled to highly effective teams of teachers and principals.
- Adult learning is necessary for increased student achievement.
- Transparency and openness serve as the basis for effective communication.
- Engaged parents and a supportive community serve as the cornerstone for the education of our students.
- Effective resource management, aligned with student achievement, results in a high performing organization.
Three Things I Need From The Staff To Be Successful
- I need all staff to wholeheartedly believe in the idea and practice of “Doing Whatever It Takes” to help our students achieve at the highest levels.
- I need all staff to be committed to a “Culture of Excellence.”
- I need all staff to keep alive your passion for teaching and working with children, and if you have lost that passion, or find it waning, that you reflect on what made you choose this noble profession and reach out to your colleagues and ask for help in reigniting that passion you once had.
Three Things I Can Do To Help You Be Successful
- I can make sure that all staff has adequate and appropriate resources to teach and support all children.
- I can make sure that all staff has access to appropriate professional development opportunities.
- I can make sure that all staff has adequate opportunities to collaborate vertically, horizontally and across functional areas.